Thursday, September 5, 2013

Are your cloud stored files protected?

[Nerd Scale: 2 out of 5 pocket protectors]
 
 
From time to time, I find it necessary to store files in the cloud that contain sensitive data, such as network passwords or account numbers.    It's not secure enough to just have a cloud based account that is password protected.  I need to encrypt the files in order to ensure the data is unreadable by those that should not be able to read these files.
 
On my laptop, my sensitive data is encrypted.  However, when I sync these files to most cloud sync services, the files are stored in plain text with the encryption removed.  This is a huge security risk.

I am now using a great software called Cloudfogger which allows me to encrypt my files and have them synced in the cloud without losing the encryption.   The software is free of charge and is quite easy to install and use.

Here is how you use Cloudfogger:

(1) Go to https://www.cloudfogger.com, create an account and install the software on your computer.

(2) Choose a file or folder you want to encrypt, right click on it and choose Cloudfogger | Fog file


(3) The file gets renamed with a .cfog extension and will now sync to the cloud without losing the encryption.



From then on, when you access your encrypted files, you will need Cloudfogger and your encryption key installed on the device you are trying to open it with.  Otherwise, the file will not be readable.   This allows us to make sure that our encrypted files are safe from others.   Cloudfogger has apps that work on iOS, Windows and Android mobile devices.

If you need more information about how to get encrypted files stored in the cloud, contact us a Binkley IT Consulting.  We can help.

3 comments:

  1. Great tip! Can this work to allow more than one device access? Like to share files, for example?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon, Laura! Cloudfogger allows you to share encrypted files with other users. I haven't tested that feature, but would love to test it out with you when you have some time.

    I have been able to encrypt files with Cloudfogger, sync with Sugarsync and open the encrypted files on my iPad using the Cloudfogger App for the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A BIG THANK YOU EDWARD JONES LOANS {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com}

    Hi my names are Nathan MacDonald, i was really in financial difficulty which affected my life negatively and my company savings was seriously depleted and we needed help but no one could help us out even the company direct main bank could not even risk to help us because we were at bottom low. My life was a mess and my wife needed a devious, I almost went mad, then decided to look for one way or the other to revive my company but no one was willing to help until i got to know about a prestigious loan company Edward Jones Loan Finance, whom have helped a lot of aliening company in the past and assisted a lot of individual financial. So i decided to request for help and to my greatest surprise they were just as everybody were talking about. they helped me with my loan with a very low interest rate of 2% and now my life is back to normal and i still got back my wife and kids. Am very thankful with the help of Edward Jones Loan Finance and if you are looking for a way to get a loan for one means or an other , your best choice is Edward Jones Loan Finance and you can contact them via email : {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} or go to there page on http://jonesloanfinance.bravesites.com or Text +1(307) 241-3712

    ReplyDelete