Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Smart Home - Pt 1





I am a big fan of anything that allows me to be lazy more efficient.

Recently I found myself with a large credit on my Amazon account and I start thinking about what I would want to spend it on.  I had been kicking the idea of retro-fitting my house with smart appliances for a bit and my Amazon money was the perfect excuse to give it a try and allow my house to become more efficient.

There are a lot of Home Automation technologies out there and deciding which one is right for you could be a bit daunting.  First you need to decide which Home Automation Protocol you are going to employ.   There are a few popular one out there.   Here is a link to a nice primer page on the different protocols from which you can choose:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/zigbee-vs-zwave-vs-insteon-home-automation-protocols-explained/

I decided to go with Z-Wave.  I have a lot of wireless devices already in my house and the idea of putting my home automation devices on a segregated wireless band was appealing to me.   Also, I had purchased a deadbolt for my back door that came with a keypad and it was Z-Wave compatible, so that made the decision a bit easier.  

Now, I understand this may not be the best way to choose a Home Automation Protocol, so let's talk about a few things that I like about Z-Wave:

WiFi Interference -As I said earlier, I didn't want a technology that would interfere with my other technology.   I have a relatively small house, but I have 3 separate wireless networks within my house.   These networks are standard WiFi networks that run on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequencies.   I get plenty of interference from my neighbors WiFi connections, so it was really important that my home automation was an a different frequency.   In the United States, Z-Wave uses the 908.42 Mhz frequency, which should prove to provide enough segregation from my WiFi network to not cause interference. 

Device Variety  - I wanted to make sure I used a technology that supported enough devices that I would have a great selection.  As of today, Z-Wave is claiming to have over 1000 compatible devices.   These range from thermostats, garage door opener relays, light switches, motion detectors, power receptacles, proximity sensors and light bulbs.

Mesh Network - on a single Z-Wave network, you can host up to 232 devices.   A Z-Wave network is controlled by a centralized hub which is responsible for coordinating the actions of the Z-Wave devices.   The maximum distance between the hub and a device is about 300ft.   However, Z-Wave devices exist in what is known as a Mesh Network that allows the devices to relay a command from one device to another until the desired devices is reached.  This extends the reach of the network quite a bit, which is ideal for larger homes or offices.

Device Interaction and Choreography - Depending on the type of Z-Wave hub your install, you can create some pretty neat device interaction.   For example, you can have a motion detector trigger an event or events on other Z-wave devices when motion is detected.   You can attached a personal proximity FOB to your key chain that will allow the Z-Wave system to detect when you have arrived or left your house/office which will trigger events to occur, such as turning off all the lights in your house.

Easily Controllable - Most Z-Wave systems can be controlled from your smartphone or tablet.   The manufacturer of your Z-Wave hub will have an app that you can use to control single devices or create scenarios that will coordinate multiple devices.  As well, most of these hubs will connect to you Local Area Connection to gain internet access in order to allow you to control your devices when you are not present.   Imagine how cool it would be to tell your smart thermostat to increase the temperature in your house before coming home.   Or in my recent case, imagine freaking out your wife by "accidentally" turning off the bedroom lights while I was at work and she was working from home.   The possibilities are endless.

So, I decided to go with Z-Wave and the next step was to choose which Hub I was going to choose.   Again, there are quite a few to choose from.   I spent some time online reading reviews and decided that I wanted to go with the SmartThings Hub.   It came highly recommended and I love the idea that it not only works with Z-Wave devices, but will also accomodate ZigBee devices (another popular protocol) and the Belkin WeMo line of products which seem pretty awesome.

My next post will discuss the process of setting up the HUB and hopefully getting at least one device to work in my house.  Until then, have an amazing time thinking about all the cool things you could do with Home Automation.

17 comments:

  1. Nice blog......Z-Wave is a wireless communications protocol designed for home automation, specifically for remote control applications in residential and light commercial environments.Trane Nexia products

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good sharing, Sharp Cloud Smarthome System is now with the latest addition of the Smart Starter Kit (YL-SU50M), the aim is to give security to the masses and democratize it in a way it hasn't happened before with its multi-function, multi-users, multi-location security. For detail visit:
      http://kidbuxblog.com/stay-safe-with-sharps-cloud-smarthome-system/

      Delete
  2. Its really good information, i like your blog post. Thanks for sharing
    i like play games friv online and than play games games2girls free and play game kids games online ! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks for sharing. Superset Automation offering services of home automation system, a smart home control services that talks to you and makes your life simple to manage as well as bring luxurious throughout your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info. I love all the posts, I really enjoyed, I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.
    Signature:
    download facebook movel, baixar Facebook movel, baixar facebook. Facebook chat, baixar whatsapp, fazer o download whatsapp baixar para Android, iPhone. Ăšltimas Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You BinkleyIT... Your blog is a very nice and provide great information for Smart Home System . I need to more information. Home security is a very important for all your homes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the good articles you can find in the net explaining everything in detail regarding the topic. I thank you for taking your time sharing your thoughts and ideas to a lot of readers out there.
    Turn Around Consultant

    ReplyDelete
  7. its really nice blog.Thanks for sharing information about home security Alarm System Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A BIG THANK YOU EDWARD JONES LOANS {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com}

    Hi my names are Nathan MacDonald, i was really in financial difficulty which affected my life negatively and my company savings was seriously depleted and we needed help but no one could help us out even the company direct main bank could not even risk to help us because we were at bottom low. My life was a mess and my wife needed a devious, I almost went mad, then decided to look for one way or the other to revive my company but no one was willing to help until i got to know about a prestigious loan company Edward Jones Loan Finance, whom have helped a lot of aliening company in the past and assisted a lot of individual financial. So i decided to request for help and to my greatest surprise they were just as everybody were talking about. they helped me with my loan with a very low interest rate of 2% and now my life is back to normal and i still got back my wife and kids. Am very thankful with the help of Edward Jones Loan Finance and if you are looking for a way to get a loan for one means or an other , your best choice is Edward Jones Loan Finance and you can contact them via email : {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} or Text +1(307) 241-3712

    ReplyDelete
  10. A BIG THANK YOU EDWARD JONES LOANS {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com}

    Hi my names are Nathan MacDonald, i was really in financial difficulty which affected my life negatively and my company savings was seriously depleted and we needed help but no one could help us out even the company direct main bank could not even risk to help us because we were at bottom low. My life was a mess and my wife needed a devious, I almost went mad, then decided to look for one way or the other to revive my company but no one was willing to help until i got to know about a prestigious loan company Edward Jones Loan Finance, whom have helped a lot of aliening company in the past and assisted a lot of individual financial. So i decided to request for help and to my greatest surprise they were just as everybody were talking about. they helped me with my loan with a very low interest rate of 2% and now my life is back to normal and i still got back my wife and kids. Am very thankful with the help of Edward Jones Loan Finance and if you are looking for a way to get a loan for one means or an other , your best choice is Edward Jones Loan Finance and you can contact them via email : {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} or Text +1(307) 241-3712

    ReplyDelete
  11. Attention,This is an online advertisement from a registered Government approved and Licensed lender that gives out loans of various kinds,e.g, Mortgage loan, Business loan, Car Loans to only serious and interested parties against a very low affordable interest rate of 3%. Apply for your loan now. If you are interested contact Via: feiyenloan@gmail.com Thanks,Mr Yin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Everyone, i am DAVID HILL MILLA now living in FLORIDA. I am SINGLE DAD, at the moment, two children and I was struck on the financial situation and need to refinance and pay for my son's medical bills and school fees. I tried looking for different loan lending companies and private corporation but never got a loan from them, and most banks reduced their credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to the private loan lender JULIA NAVARO CEO NAVARO LOAN COMPANY and I got the loan amount ($553,760 USD), and today I am a business owner, and the kids are doing well at the moment. So, my dear friends, if you need to contact referring to all the companies that provide the loan at low interest rate of 2% and better repayment plans and schedules, please contact (JULIA NAVARO) at Navaroloancompany@yahoo.com. I'm so happy now, and I decided to let people know more about it, she offers all kinds of loans to individuals and company, and I want God to bless her. You can contact the company via e-mail (Navaroloancompany@yahoo.com)....

    ReplyDelete
  13. We offer certified and verifiable bank instruments via Swift Transmission from a genuine provider capable
    of taking up time bound transactions.

    FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%

    FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M

    Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded, loan financing by providing you with yearly
    renewable leased bank instruments. We work directly with issuing bank lease providers, this Instrument can be monetized on your behalf for 100% funding: For further details contact us with the below information.

    Contact name: Azra Ishaque

    Email : lintel.financialservicesplc@gmail.com

    Skype : lintel.financialservicesplc

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regards,
    kelvin Brigth
    Skype: kelvinbrigth84@gmail.com
    Email: kelvinbrigth84@gmail.com
    Phone: +447031956543

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For a smart home, the Tech experts can help us. And If you need any It solution for your laptop or pc the ITFUX24 is here for you. Also they are well known for notebook reparatur in the frankfurt as well. Join with them and make an innovative solution for your needs.

    ReplyDelete